Monday 13th February 2017

KO: 7pm


West Brom: Rose, Jones, Melbourne, Field, Fitzwater, O’Shea, Scrivens, Dool, Wright, Edwards, Leko Subs: Howkins, Keranovic, Bradley, Nabi, Forss

Ipswich Town: Crowe, Fowler, Woolfenden, Hyam, C.Smith, T.Smith, Blanchfield, Dozzell, Morris, McLoughlin, McKendry

Subs: Nydam, Hayes, McDonnell, Robinson, Folami


West Brom and Ipswich Town played out a goalless draw on a cold night at The Hawthornes.

It was a fairly uneventful first half, with neither team able to produce a decisive chance.

Ipswich seemed to favour their right side early on, with numerous balls being lofted to winger Conor McKendry, who came close with a shot that sliced just wide of the left post.

The home side grew into the game, with Jonathan Leko and Chey Scrivens looking the most potent threats, but neither side were able to convert and went in at half time 0-0.

The main talking point of the first half was arguably a questionable tackle from Ipswich midfielder Luke Hyam, who was playing his first game of the season after he picked up a knee injury in pre-season. He came in from behind on West Brom winger Jonathan Leko before the two butted heads and exchanged words, but no cards were shown

The game livened up a bit in the second half and it was the home side who came out quicker, with Leko and Andre Wright both looking to break the deadlock but coming up short.

It was Scrivens again who was looking like West Brom’s biggest threat and he had two good efforts in quick succession midway through the half. Two sizzling shots forcing saves from keeper Michael Crowe.

Ipswich still fancied themselves, however, despite the home side having the greater share of possession and managed to create a handful of chances. Andre Dozzell’s shot from outside the box was saved by Albion keeper Jack Rose, before Benjamin Morris found himself in the clear but was unable to make anything of it.

This set up for a tense finish to the game, but despite some desperation play from both teams, neither were able to grab a winner.

Final Score: 0-0